The Trust's Landmarks of New York
A long-time crusader for preservation, the Municipal Art Society joined with The Trust in 1956 to begin the “Landmarks of New York” project in memorial to Andrew C. McKenzie, a prominent Brooklyn architect who had died in 1926. His widow had left a fund to The Trust upon her death in 1951, and as she shared her husband’s interest in architecture, this landmark-designation project became a fitting tribute.
Two hundred and twelve plaques were created from 1957 through 1968, each describing the importance of the sites to which they were affixed. In 1969, the four-year-old New York Landmarks Preservation Commission took over the creation of the plaques and landmark designation in the City. Below is a map of 26 of The Trust's landmark plaques. Have fun exploring!