Current Donors | Easy-to-Use Donor Portal | New York Community Trust


Whether you’re a donor to The Trust, the Long Island Community Foundation, or the Westchester Community Foundation, you can manage your fund at MyNYCT.


Thank you for making our work possible. The generosity of donors like you has touched millions of lives and made New York a better place to live.

You probably know us through our donor-advised funds. But we can help you achieve so much more with your charitable giving: Make a commitment to our region and the causes you care about by creating a permanent fund in The New York Community Trust.

Build Your Legacy

We host regular donor briefings about innovative ways to address our region’s challenges. Our speakers have included the Commissioner of the New York City Police Department; the founder of a group that converts abandoned buildings into space for artists; and an inmate who started a program to lower incarceration rates while reducing crime.

Donors tell us these briefings are insiders’ looks at New York: Want to see a neighborhood through the eyes of experts? We took donors on a tour of “Hamilton’s New York.” And a walk through Brooklyn Bridge Park. And historic Harlem.


attend an event

With expertise developed over ninety years, The Trust’s grantmaking program focuses on nonprofits addressing greatest need in the five boroughs. Many New Yorkers have joined our grantmaking efforts by contributing to our Annual Fund, which supplements our regular grantmaking budget.

Because we add money from the Annual Fund to particular grants, we’re able to report to Annual Fund donors about the specific project their generosity supported.

Four easy ways to contribute:

  • Give by Credit Card
  • Contact Bob Edgar, (212) 686-2564 or Gay Young (212) 686-2234
  • Write a check to Community Funds, Inc. (on the memo line, write “Annual Fund” and mail it to 909 Third Ave, 22nd Floor, New York, NY 10022)
  • If you have a donor-advised fund, we’ll transfer your gift. If you use MyNYCT, look for the Annual Fund tab.
Find Out More

FAQs for Donors: Suggesting a Grant from a Donor-Advised Fund

Do I have to make grant suggestions?
Do I have to make grant suggestions?

Yes. If you’re not sure where to give, we have good news: Our newsletters and annual report are great sources of information about work that might interest you.

If you simply forgot to make grants recommendations for more than a year, we’ll remind you.

Also, we understand you might want to accumulate income over several years in order to make a large grant and, to the extent permitted by law, we can accommodate this. Talk to us about your plans.

Still looking for help? Call Donor Services.

I always support my university's annual campaign. Will you pay my pledge?
I always support my university's annual campaign. Will you pay my pledge?

We can’t make a grant earmarked to pay your legally binding pledge. However, The IRS has recently issued guidance that says, in effect, that it is okay if the grantee organization applies a donor-advised fund grant to a pledge. But we cannot direct them to do that.

May I make a grant to an organization that is in a foreign country?
May I make a grant to an organization that is in a foreign country?

Many U.S. charities are active overseas and we are happy to consider grants to them.  We do not make grants to nonprofits organized outside the United States. Many major foreign organizations have established “American Friends of…” and these, as U.S. charities, are often good substitutes. If the grant you are contemplating is at least $10,000, we may be able to find a third party to manage the expenditure responsibility required by law.

How do I suggest a grant?
How do I suggest a grant?

You can let us know which nonprofits you would like to support in one of three ways:

The easiest way is to use our electronic portal, MyNYCT.

Or send your grant suggestions in writing to The New York Community Trust, 909 Third Avenue, 22nd Floor, New York NY 10022.

Or you can fax them to (212) 532-8528, Attn: Donor Relations

What information do I need to suggest a grant?
What information do I need to suggest a grant?

The name and address of the charity, the amount of the proposed grant ($250 or more), and its purpose (general support or a specific project).  This information allows us to ensure that the charities suggested are recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as tax-exempt and that they meet our standards for responsible management and effective programs. Including a contact person at the charity is also helpful to us.

Assuming there are funds available to make the grant, and the organization is already in our database of approved charities, a check will generally be sent within seven to ten days of receiving the request.

If we need to review the charity to make sure it meets our standards, it may take two to six weeks. There are rare instances in which it takes longer than six weeks to make a grant.

Am I the only person who can make grant suggestions?
Am I the only person who can make grant suggestions?

The founder of a fund can name other people—relatives, friends, or business associates—as advisors to suggest grants from the fund they established. To add or remove an advisor, simply fill out this nomination form and e-mail or mail it to us at our regular mailing address.

Will I get a receipt for tax purposes?
Will I get a receipt for tax purposes?

Absolutely. What’s often convenient for some donors is that we keep copies of our acknowledgements. When tax time rolls around and you can’t find your original, we’ll send you a copy.

Managing Your Fund

May I have fundraising events to increase the size of my fund?
May I have fundraising events to increase the size of my fund?

This is a trickier question than it may seem. You may not publicly solicit funds (in which case you are acting as an unauthorized “agent” of The Trust). Nor can we pay expenses of a fundraiser you host in order to raise money for your fund. However, you certainly can invite friends to contribute to your fund (say, in lieu of a Christmas present to you, or in honor of your birthday).

How do I add to my fund?
How do I add to my fund?


If you want to give cash, make your check payable to “Community Funds, Inc.” and write the name of the fund on the memo portion of the check. If you would prefer giving via cash wire transfer, please contact Raymond Salibur at (212) 686-0010 x455 for instructions.

Appreciated securities

Many donors prefer to contribute appreciated securities because you receive the deduction for the current value, and pay no capital gains. If that’s the case, please download this form that explains the procedure for giving securities, including mutual funds.

Non-publicly traded securities

Securities that are not publicly traded may also be appropriate gifts. Please contact our general counsel, Jane Wilton, at (212) 686-2563; She can determine whether we can accept the gift and walk you through the process.

By Credit Card

Yes, you can make a secure contribution to your fund online here. 


Click here for information on our investments. We’re proud of our tradition of responsible stewardship.